Summer is in full swing and with it, a season of bountiful fresh produce. What better way to celebrate the goodness of fresh ingredients than with a simple (but oh, so satisfying) summer salad?
We decided to reach out to Megan Karp for some direction as we often find ourselves inspired by the recipes she’s plating and sharing on Instagram. There’s nothing more satisfying than a recipe that is as nourishing as it is tasty. We hope you enjoy this delicious salad as much as we did!
This summer salad is easy, satisfying, and full of beautiful seasonal produce. Arugula brings a peppery background, the colourful heirloom tomatoes add slight acidity, the corn is a touch of sweetness, and the burrata adds a bit of creaminess (can replace with avocado, if vegan).
You can eat it as a starter, a side dish, or even a main entree.
4 cups of arugula salad
3 large heirloom tomatoes, mixed colors
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
3 ears of sweet corn
3-4 burrata balls
1 lemon (for squeezed juice)
2-3 TB of olive oil
2 tsp of balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
8-10 basil leaves Salt and pepper
1. Prep the corn by boiling three full ears for 4-5 minutes. Once cooked, transfer to a bowl with cold water and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, place the arugula salad and drizzle with olive oil, dash of a salt, and one squeezed lemon. Toss the salad and set aside.
3. Slice the heirloom tomatoes and cut the cherry tomatoes into equal halves. Place the heirlooms around the periphery of the salad and fill in with the cherry tomatoes for a visual effect.
4. Slice the corn from the cobs (they should be cooled by now) and fill in the salad with corn.
5. Now, take your burrata and place over the salad. You can keep your burrata whole or but it in halves to expose the creaminess.
6. Drizzle with more olive oil, some balsamic dressing or glaze, and salt and pepper. Note: I like a balsamic glaze, as its a bit thicker and looks beautiful drizzled on a salad.
7. Add some basil leaves for some additional herby flavor and visual interest.
8. Serve and enjoy!
You can find more recipes and daily doses of optimism from Megan on her Instagram !
Browse Megan’s tools for the task: